Google Nest not working, can you fix it? Occasionally, Google-made smart speakers and displays may experience temporary glitches, but such issues are typically not permanent. Nevertheless, a number of users have encountered a more persistent problem with their Google Nest Hub, wherein it becomes stuck on the splash screen or black screen and cannot be resolved even through restarting. If you find yourself facing this issue with your Google Nest Hub, please refer to the following instructions for troubleshooting.
In 2021, a widespread issue emerged when Google introduced a major UI redesign update for the Nest Hub, causing the screen to go black and become unresponsive. Unfortunately, reports of similar issues persisted into late 2022, with some attributing the problem to the FusciaOS update. In essence, if restarting the device fails to resolve the problem, it is likely not a software bug but rather a hardware defect. This occurrence is not uncommon for a device that operates continuously with minimal power cycles.
Google Nest Not Working – How to Fix
If your Google Nest Hub is experiencing the issue where it gets stuck on a blank screen or the “G” splash screen, attempting a simple reboot may not be effective, according to affected users. Here are some methods to try:
1. Restart Sequence
A restart sequence that can potentially force a hardware reset. Although it may be a tedious process, it is worth a try. Here are the steps to perform the restart sequence on your Google Nest Hub, as provided by Google support:
- Disconnect the power cable from your Nest Hub by unplugging it.
- Wait for at least 10 seconds.
- Plug the power cable back into the Nest Hub.
- While the cable is being plugged in, simultaneously press and hold both volume buttons on the back of the Nest Hub.
- Continue holding the volume buttons for about 10 seconds until you see the screen briefly go dark and then display the Google logo.
- Release the volume buttons.
- The Nest Hub should now begin the restart process.
By following these instructions, you can attempt a restart sequence to potentially resolve the issue with your Google Nest Hub’s unresponsive screen.
If the previous restart sequence does not resolve the issue with your Google Nest Hub, you can try the following steps:
- Disconnect the Google Nest Hub from the power source by unplugging it.
- Leave the device unplugged for a duration of 10 seconds.
- Plug in the Google Nest Hub and allow it to boot up.
- Once it has fully booted, unplug it again.
- Wait for another 10 seconds and then plug it back in.
- Repeat this unplug-wait-plug sequence continuously for a total of 10 times.
If the problem persists even after performing this sequence, it is recommended to check the power adapter and the cable connected to your Google Nest Hub. Make sure that both the power adapter and the cable are in good condition and securely connected. Faulty or damaged power adapters or cables can sometimes cause issues with the device’s functionality.
2. Check the Power Supply
It is possible that the issue with your Google Nest Hub lies with the power adapter or cable, although it is not a common occurrence. While we believe this problem is more likely due to a hardware failure or a broken system update, it’s worth checking the power supply as a precautionary measure. If you have another Nest Hub that is functioning properly, you can try switching the cables and see if the problem persists. If your Google Nest Hub is still not working after attempting this, we suggest performing a factory reset.
3. Factory Reset
If your Google Nest Hub remains unresponsive and is stuck on the black screen or splash screen, performing a factory reset might help resolve the issue. While some users have reported success with this method, it is worth noting that for many affected users, the problem resurfaced after some time. This led to a cycle of daily resets, which is far from ideal. Nevertheless, you can give it a try to see if it fixes the problem. Here are the steps to reset your Google Nest Hub (1st and 2nd Generation):
- Simultaneously press and hold both Volume buttons for a duration of 10 seconds. This action should reset your device to its factory settings, allowing you to set it up again.
- Access the Google Home app on your smartphone.
- On the Google Home app, tap the “Add” or “+” icon, then choose “Set up a device.”
- Tap on “New device” and ensure that Location Services and Bluetooth are enabled on your smartphone.
- Select “Google Nest Hub” from the list, choose your preferred services, and configure the settings accordingly.
By following these steps, you can perform a factory reset on your Google Nest Hub and potentially resolve the unresponsive screen issue.
4. Request Replacement
If none of the previous steps have resolved the issue with your Google Nest Hub, it may be necessary to return the device for repair or replacement. In order to initiate this process, it is better to open a ticket with Google Nest support through their official support website. This option is applicable if your Google Nest Hub is still under warranty and you can provide proof of purchase. Alternatively, you can reach out to the retailer from which you purchased the device for assistance.
We hope this article about Google Nest not working has been helpful in troubleshooting the issue. Thank you for reading, and we encourage you to share any thoughts, questions, or suggestions in the comments section below.